Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Blues Score 4 Unanswered Goals to Beat the Blackhawks in OT, 6-5.

The Chicago Blackhawks and the St. Louis Blues usually have exciting games that contain a lot of hits.  Tonight, it was a lot of goals.  One would say it was a flashback to the mid-80s where teams would combine for double-digit goals.  The Blues used overtime to complete a 3 goal deficit comeback to beat the Blackhawks, 6-5, in overtime.

It didn't take long for the Hawks to find the scoresheet as Marko Dano scored his first goal as a Blackhawk as he jumped on a rebound in front of the net and got it past Brian Elliot for a quick 1-0 lead just over 2 minutes into the game.  Just as quickly as the Hawks took the lead, the Blues tied the game less than a minute later as Alexander Steen had a shot bounce off of him and deflect into the net.  The Hawks regained the lead 95 seconds later when Andrew Shaw was taken down and rewarded a penalty shot.  Shaw buried a wrist shot, stick side, to make it 2-1.  Just under 2 minutes later, it was Teuvo-time as Teravainen back-handed a loose rebound behind Elliot to extend the lead to 3-1.  Then, 6 1/2 minutes actually went by without any scoring before 19 year old rookie, Robby Fabbri wristed a shot past Corey Crawford to bring St. Louis to within a goal at 3-2.  With 3 minutes to go in the period, Brent Seabrook extended his scoring streak to seven games with a blast from the point that beat Jake Allen, who replaced Elliot in net for St. Louis to give the Hawks their 2 goal lead back, 4-2.  The Hawks wound find themselves back to the power play and within 43 seconds of their last goal, Patrick Kane's wrist shot found the back of the net thanks to a great screen in front by Shaw.  The period ended, 5-2 Hawks.

The 2nd period wasn't as exciting.  at least, if you were a Blackhawks fan.  The St. Louis Blues scored 3 unanswered goals in the period.  Steen scored his 2nd of the game as he deflected a shot 3 minutes into the period.  The game calmed down until the Hawks once again continued their bad habit of giving up late goals in a period.  Jay Bouwmeester scored on a St. Louis power play with under 3 minutes left in the period.  Then with 34 seconds remaining in the period, David Backes from a sharp angle, beat Crawford to tie the game at 5 to end the period.

In the 3rd period, both teams decided to play defense as there was no scoring in the period.  The Blackhawks had 2 power plays in the period and had 14 shots while holding the Blues to 7.

Overtime lasted almost 4 minutes, before Vladimir Tarasenko beat Crawford to end the game as St. Louis scored 4 unanswered goals to win the game.

Notable mentions: Niklas Hjalmarsson wore the "A" as the Assistant Captain tonight.  He had 3 blocked shots on the night.  The Hawks had 4 players with a goal and an assist tonight (Teravainen, Kane, Shaw, and Seabrook).  The Blues played the night before and did not get into Chicago until 4am, yet they managed to win the game in overtime.

Three Stars of The Game: 1st - CHI - Brent Seabrook (1G 1A), 2nd - STL - Alexander Steen (2G), 3rd - CHI - Patrick Kane (1G 1A)

Next game: Friday, November 6th, Away Vs. New Jersey Devils, 6:00pm CDT


No comments:

Post a Comment